Thursday, February 22, 2007

Okay, I'm back.

Looking at yesterday's post I realized my Dunkin' level must be low, causing these depressive and suicidal thoughts. So here I sit with my Dunkin' Great One, and, wouldn't you know it, all is right with the world!

I'm sitting here looking at a Father's Day present The Boy made me last year titled "Five Reasons Why I Love My Dad." And in addition to highlighting the sublime perfection of my fatherhood, it also speaks volumes about The Boy, and why he is destined to a life of slide rules and .... well, whatever the heck engineers do.

Five Reasons Why I Love My Dad
by Boy Jones

1. He is nice. Well, comparatively, I guess. I see the Boy hasn't yet discovered that "yes, ahem, yup, true..." are the conversation tactics of a Dad desperately trying to read that paper, not a nice guy engrossed in your breakfast table discussion.

And here's the sad part: in ten years I'll be sitting, probably at that same table, wishing I could have those conversations...


2. He plays with me. This is what happens when you have a dad with the mentality of a twelve year old. Actually, it was ideal. When Wifeypooh got tired of playing with me, she popped out the kids, and given me new playmates so I don't have to bother her.

3. He does not yell at me. I'm not the yeller of the family. I growl more than yell. I've also been known to huff and sigh. Which is why in the rare occasion when I do yell, it gets instant attention... Although the advent of adolescence in The Girl has seen increasing yelling with decreasing efficacy...

4. He buys me food. Well, I like food too, so it's not like I'm buying it just for him. And he eats like a bird anyway, so it's really not a big deal. Just give him a bit of macaroni and cheese and a cookie after dinner and he's all yours...

5. He gives me shelter. What kind of eight year old thinks about stuff like this? "He gives me shelter"... Whattaya think, I'd make you sleep out in the cold? What a left-brain, logical, Spock-like thought...

So, a future of protractors and calculator watches ahead of him, or what?

3 comments:

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

These are good things. He is recognizing and appreciating that he is being provided the core needs of life... food, shelter and love. These are all much better than other superficial reasons such as, "He buys me lots of toys."

Good job my man...

Penny said...

Hear, hear!

Gino said...

i'm sure he would have liked to add "he buys me lots of toys" to the list.

strange coincidence: back when jr was 5yrs, he made a comment about me being a good dad. the primary reason: he buys food for me.

just like grown men.feed them, and they're happy.